Friday, August 15

Taiwan/Japan Trip ~ Part 2

Our next destination was Osaka. We had the one chance of a lifetime to try the Shinkansen ie bullet train. It was a sublime experience! It was easy enough to get on the Shinkansen. From Shinjuku, we had to get to Shinagawa (or Tokyo but Shinagawa was nearer) to board the Shinkansen. Using the JR pass we had, it was easy.We got ourselves some lunch for the journey to Osaka.

We got onto the bullet train and was all settled.. until I almost screamed out, my watch!!!! I last saw my watch in the bathroom near the sink. I didn't pack it because I knew I wanted to wear it the next day!

Drama No. 2: When we checked out of Sunroute, Big Elf was in the bathroom, and I told him to check the bathroom. He lifted the towels but didn't see the watch. Of course, I took it for granted to check again, and sure enough something was left behind, yet again!!

However, I was lucky because we will be spending the last day in Shibuya, which is only 3 stops away from Shinjuku using Yamanote Line and 1 stop away using Shonan-Shinjuku line. So, I can always steal 15 minutes to get back my watch. Only problem is, I only pray the housekeeping lady will be kind enough to keep my watch as lost and found item.

We stayed at the Ramada Hotel in Nakatsu. Very convenient for us because Ramada Hotel is just above the Nakatsu train station. Hotel was not as nice as Sunroute of course as it was slightly cheaper. Next we went to Namba for lunch. Had a very nice set lunch, which I was told very "Kyoto" style. The restaurant was inside a shopping arcade called Donguyasuji.


We then went to Dotonbori which is one of the main shopping district in Osaka. You can actually find some cheap clothings there. I bought 2 tops in particular and several ties as gifts(100% silk). Still no better than the 100yen shop in Harajuku!


For ladies, one particular shop which you can buy lots of skin care product is this shop called Matsumoto KiYoshi. I'm not sure if it's the cheapest around but it definitely has a huge range of local brands. I bought so many skin care products and I just went berserk as they are pretty cheap too for my standard.

Had ramen for dinner (not again!!!) but the ramen shop is also highly recommended. It doesn't look too appealing, but it did taste awesome!We spent quite some time in Dotonbori and enjoyed ourselves very much!

We then took the train to one end of the line to Cosmosquare where the world trade centres are. Unfortunately, it was late and when we arrived there were hardly anyone around. Afraid of being mugged in Japan (although unlikely), we solemnly headed back to our hotel and called it a day.


Next day was dedicated to Kyoto which I was looking forward to as well. Took the JR line to Kyoto and when we arrived, we purchased a whole day ticket (only cost 500yen) for unlimited travel to some major sightseeing area in Kyoto. I was told about Arashiyama but unfortunately, it was out of our ticket covered area, so we had to let that go.

We went to

1) Sanjûsangen-dô Buddhist Temple - more for historical, architectural reasons and probably the garden outside of the temple. The incense inside the temple really triggered my asthma attack. By the way, I started having shortness of breath since Taipei. I dismissed it thinking it was because I was exhausted due to the non-stop walking around.


2) Kiyomizu Temple. The most tiring part was the walk up the hill. However, we were being distracted by the shops along the lane. Apparently, one of the most famous sweets sold in Kyoto is this called Yatsuhashi. One bite of the sweet, sent us wanting more. They have lots of flavours ie strawberry, mango, green tea, black sesame, red bean, peach etc and it was really yummy. They even have it wrapped in a nice box, perfect as gift but be warned, it can only last for a week, 2 at the most.

3) Ginza the geisha district. We expected to see some women in kimonos but to our disappointment, there was almost none, plus it was only noon time. Perhaps, their activities start at dawn. However, we had a fantastic lunch, okonomiyaki! The restaurant was not what we expected at all, and we had to sit on the floor, japanese style. The guys were dreading it, but it was a nice experience I'm sure for everyone. The food was delicious, set lunch too. Had Japanese lemonade, I wish there were more because I was so exhausted! There were a choice of pork, beef and squid okonomiyaki! Nice!

4) Golden Pavilion ~this place is absolutely must-go for great photo taking sceneries! The sceneries were absolutely breathtaking, I'm not sure how much more to stress on the beautiful creation.. but please visit this place when you go to Kyoto! Entry fees was only AUD4!







5) Finally at night, we went back to Ginza for dinner. This time, we could see beautiful women walking along the streets! haha.. And again, the guys felt more comfortable with me around so no one will approach them.

I guess, that's all we could do for only 1 day in Kyoto. It was an amazing place!

Continue..

I think it was a bad idea to leave this post for too long. When I blogged about Japan, all my experiences were still fresh in my mind. Now, I have to rely on the photos to relive those moments again. Oh well, I don't blog for living, so please don't blame my complacency.

Ok, next day after Kyoto (also our last day in Osaka) we visited Osaka Castle, a tourist attraction not to be missed. However, it was so crowded on that particular day. Probably because it was weekend. The heat on that day was full on too. Just a tip, if you purchased a train day pass, remember to use it to get 100 yen off the entry ticket. Inside the castle, it was a great relief to have air-conditioning. There are 7 floors in total, and every floor has a different display mainly (an obviously) on the history of the castle. Somehow, I began to appreciate Japan's history more and my liking for Japan just grew exponentially.

We had to get back to Shibuya on that same afternoon. So we parted with our friends and agreed to met in Shibuya t a said time. Back at Ramada Hotel, we got ready to check out until I started looking for my spectacle's case. My specs are really fragile and I love it enough to not break it, hence I had safe-keep it in the hard case. Yet I couldn't find it. Unpacked almost everything out of the luggage bag just to find it in my handbag!!! I couldn't have been more careful knowing I still need the case, so indeed I didn't pack it away. Time was running out, I had to practically shoved everything (which I so carefully and neatly packed the night before) into the luggage bag and head towards for the train station. Since I lost precious things already by then, I made sure I glanced the WHOLE of the room before I left.

I probably missed the part about calling Sunroute Hotel the first day we arrived at Ramada Hotel. Thank God they found my watch and kept it. It will be in safekeeping until I get it back from them. How nice..... which is why we had to head back to Shibuya earlier than our friends so that there's time to get back my watch.

We arrived Shibuya in the evening and I must say, I was so thrilled with the hotel. Unfortunately we only spent a night there (the truth is, we cannot afford any more than 1 night), else it will be an amazing experience. I was already running out of clothes so I was looking for the last piece of dress I had bought in Taiwan. I checked the first bag... not there, then second bag... not there too! It's not right, I thought. I kept looking until I got frustrated that I literally poured all my stuffs all over the floor!!! Big Elf was really shaking his head at that time..

Drama No. 3: Of course, you would have expected, I didn't find the dress. I have no idea where it was. I was very sure I brought it to Kyoto and I made sure I checked the room before we left. Still, it was no where to be found. Although it only cost me AUD10, still I absolutely LOATHE losing things that I like.. it was frustrating, it was tormenting...bells are tinkling at my ears.. hoarding.. hoarding.. materialistic..materialistic!

I had to make a move, pronto. I had to time to lose as I had to get to Shinjuku and Harajuku, the 100 yen shop for the last time. My slight merriment was when I got back my watch. At least now, I can pompously say I lost 2 things only rather than 3 (sigh, comforting myself here). I also managed to get to 100 yen shop at Harajuku and did my last shopping. I absolutely love this shop, all the more reasons to love Tokyo!

Finally, the "Auld Land Syne" song was played. Time to go. I tugged the bags closely to me and headed the station. When I reached the station, I knew something was wrong amidst lost in translation. I stopped passersby to find out what's happening with the crowd at the station, but I couldn't understand what they were trying to tell me. All I knew was that the train was not going anywhere, I'm not sure for how long and I'm not going to wait. Praise the Lord that Harajuku station was only 1 station away. I decided to take a walk. The good thing was, I knew my ways around better now.

It didn't take me long to reach Shibuya. As I walked up the road nearer to the hotel, I co-incided with our friends who arrived Shibuya. I was surprised as Big Elf expected them since several hours ago. It was almost 10, mind you. My first thought was Big Elf must have been starving!!! Of course, I began to comprehend what the whole train ordeal was all about. There was an accident which caused massive delays! oThroughout our whole trip in Japan, there were at least 3 or 4 accidents that we encountered! Not a very good thing, was it?

I got to the hotel room and Big Elf was out. Part of me was glad that he wasn't starving. Yet, part of me didn't want him to be lonely!! Anyway, he got back half an hour later and took me to the top floor bar, where we enjoyed some cocktail and a beautiful city view. We were highly impressed!! Also, be prepared to spend at least AUD50 for just 2 drinks.. I never spent that much on liquids before!! Goodness me!!
That concludes our final night and our trip in Japan.

To conclude, it was an unforgettable experience. We truly lost with words when describing Japan. Our only advise is to not visit Japan during summer!

p/s: When I transitted in Taiwan on the way back to Sydney, I took the opportunity to email Ramada Hotel asking about the dress, if I left it there. Guess what??? They found the dress!! It was unbelievable man... I am dumbfounded with myself!! No words to describe myself..
They are so kind to agree to keep the dress until I ask them to send it to me. Of course, for a 10 bucks dress, it's not worth it to get it sent here. Thank God, I have a friend going to Japan in Oct, hopefully she will be able to help me collect the dress! I am so glad that throughout the whole time, Big Elf didn't say a word to me about me losing stuffs (what more to say to people like me??).. he just shook his head inexorably!

1 comment:

Athena said...

wah! to be on the bullet train.. :) that's a dream! kekeke... an engineering wonder!