Tuesday, November 7

Towards the Light?

On Saturday, I received a call from my aunties. They informed me that foster grandfather had passed away at 3 in the morning. It was sad but my heart had already prepared for his passing months ago after learning he was suffering from lung cancer. I do not know every detail of his death, but what is heartrending is the realization that he may not go to heaven. My aunties had advised me to call my foster grandmother and parents to send my condolence. I hesitated because I knew they may not be in a stable state to talk and it won't help because I was not physically present to comfort them. Still, I called and managed to speak to my foster grandma. She was wailing and lamenting as though in a trance-like state, speaking in her dialect which I cannot understand. I also heard lots of wailing and howling in the background. Then I thought to myself, why, they probably ought to mourn if my Grandpa doesn't go to a "better" place.

At this point, I really don't know how and what to pray. It is heart wrenching. I believe our Father in heaven is ever-loving and ever-forgiving. He has sent Jesus, His only Son to die on the cross to pay for our sins. Hence, He will forgive sinners, like the rapist, the killer, or the seemingly lighty sinners, liar, gossiper and snob if they confess and repent. But will He forgive someone who rejects (not literally in this case) Him and denounce Jesus?

It made me realized then, how important missions are. To reach out to others and to spread the good news. It doesn't matter whether they choose to believe or not, or verbally accept Jesus as their Lord Saviour, but most importantly, they are exposed to the truth. At least, they've heard about Jesus. They can very well decide for themselves to accept it or not... they may not find it valuable or relevant during their lifetime, but I'm sure they will when they come face to face with death.

Lord, have mercy on those who doesn't know you even... do we blame them for not knowing you or do we blame those around them who knows you yet do nothing to bring the good news?

No comments: