Friday, August 17

City to Surf 2007

If you know what City to Surf is in Sydney, then you will know what I'm talking about. Anyway, see those ppl in the picture? I was one of them this year.

This is an annual event organized by Sun Herald for fund-raising purpose. There are more than 60 000 participants this year in this 14 km run. Of course, you must be mad to think I can run for 14 kms. I did a combination of these: walk, jog and slow running. What I'm most proud of was that I did not stop for a second in the race and it took me 2 hours 22 minutes to finish.

What made me participate? It started with a colleague of mine, asking everyone to go with her for this event. Soon enough, she gathered a bunch, and we were all set to go. We registered (registration fee is $38 but good thing is the company pays, so nothing to lose I thought, just some energy and sweat) and soon received all the information, a singlet and assigned a number each (my number was 28288! this is an auspicious number for chinese but I'm not superstitious enough to believe it).

As the dar drew closer, I became so worried, what if I can't finish the run. 14 kms!! Do you know how far that is? I remember when we used to run 1500meters in school which was compulsory to pass the pysical education subject. Even that was hard enough, not to mention 14 kms.

So, the morning came and I was all geared up and went to the city. Of course, I knew there will be so many people so we picked a time and place to meet up. Waited and waited but couldn't see anyone I know. Perhaps, they were late or maybe everyone's scattered everywhere.

Oh well, forget it, just go ahead with the race, I thought. There were such a massive crowd that I feared a stampede. But I knew I wouldn't back off at that time. Well, all in all, the race was quite fun albeit lonely. I got to see many people wearing funny costumes (just so that their photos can be taken and spotted easily, some were reflectives of their profession). There were bargirls, cheerleaders, clowns, swimmers, roadworkers, even BORAT!! Goodness me!! =) Throughout the race, there were bystanders cheering for everyone and giving encouragements. I thought that was really kind of them.

After more than 2 long hours, I finally saw Bondi Beach. I was ok until the 10th km but the rest of it was really starting to kill me. I had to really drag myself to finish it and I did, FINALLY! Got myself a medal and some freebies. Was especially thankful that all racers got a free bus trip back to the city. Also, I found out the next day, I was the only one from my department to run the race. Everyone else didn't go (chicken out, I guess.. hehe).

There you go, my whole CITY TO SURF ordeal. Like the inscription on the medal says, I FINISHED totally applies to me. =)

No comments: