Sunday, March 9

Wasn't it supposed to be TGIF? Part 2

I am not someone who has a lot of patience. I can choose to be patient on certain things, but at times like these, I can just flip. The next day ie Saturday, I had a wondrous mood to clean up the house. When my mood is affected in that manner, I just loved to clean up the house. Eventually, I not only cleaned the house, I did a makeover too. 2 years living under this roof, same furniture, same arrangement, same way of cleaning. Time for a change I thought. Of course I didn't replace the furnitures but I rearrange some of them. I asked Andrew to leave the house so I can do things my way and my space without hindrance. So, he went out for shopping. 3 hours later, Andrew came home to almost a new and nice place and we were both glad again. It felt like a therapy to me!

So, I spent the later part of the afternoon just surfing the net. It was pretty tiring cleaning up the house, so I wanted to just sit and not move around anymore. I must say, I still cannot get over Lydia Shum's death. For those of you who don't know who she is, she is an entertainer ie actress, comedian and singer from Hong Kong and was much loved by everyone who watches her show. She was in the showbiz for 40 years and most asian chinese know her. She's only 62 and is survived by her only daughter, Joyce. I stumbled upon her blog and read an entry of hers. She's only 21 but she is definitely the most mature 21 year old I've ever known, judging from her manner, and particularly during the memorial service for her mum. Her father was verbally attacked by a close friend of the mother's, asking him what part has he played in the daughter's life all these while. I've attached the video clip below.



Anyway, to cut the whole story short, she was reviewing the movie "Evan Almighty" and wrote that the line which struck her was when Morgan Freeman who played God said “Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?”

Wow, it took me a good minute or two to let that phrase sink in and how it applied to the ordeal on Friday. We always ask from God, yet we thought we never receive. But have we ever realized that God actually was wanting to give us what we ask, but in ways we never expect to receive. Hence, people who never learned through the "hard" way, will never have claimed to receive what they asked for. Andrew, being the wise man he is, did try to alleviate my stress by explaining the same analogy to me, just that it didn't hit as hard as I was not thinking straight. So, mum was right too, that we have to thank and praise the Lord at all circumstances. Indeed, Romans 8:28 says,"God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God".