Tuesday, January 15

Tough luck!

What a day.. I am so angry and utterly disappointed!! I had 2 appointments with the sonographer today. One was to do a bone density scan and the other was an abdominal scan.

Firstly, the bone density scan was at 2pm. I arrived at the venue at 1.30pm and thought to myself, I am still very early. I had to park along the street as I knew it is cheaper than parking inside the building (nope, no discounts for patients, dream on! Everywhere is all about money!!!) Then I thought perhaps, I should go into the medical centre 15 minutes earlier. So I waited for 15 minutes in the car as I didn't want to pay for the parking ticket for an hour, as I know the scan will take about 20 minutes. So, I paid for 45 minutes which cost me $2.50. So, I finally went into the centre, got myself registered at the reception and waited....... and waited...... it's 2.20pm, as I looked at the time. Dem, my parking ticket is only until 2.30pm. I thought my appointment was at 2pm (something I learnt instantly, having an appointment at the stated time, does not mean you will get to see the doc/sonographer immediately). So I had to go and re-pay my parking tickets. I had to pay for another hour, as I wasn't sure when it will be my turn. Paid another $3.30 for an hour. Finally, it was my turn, and all in all, it took 30 minutes by the time I got back to the centre. Wasted half an hour's parking fee.

That was still ok. No hassle! Gosh, I was starving by then. I had to fast before the scan, that's why I was starving. I had to rush to another centre for the abdominal scan. I had about 25 minutes to spare. Thank God the next medical centre was in the area I live in. So, since I have the zone parking area sticker, I didn't have to pay. So I got into the centre and registered myself. The receptionist, gave me an awkward look. Then as she was searching for something on her tray, I knew something was wrong. To my disbelief, she told me I didn't have the appointment. A guy came and that guy had the same appointment time and day as me! I was getting furious.. she tried to explain to me, saying somehow my name was not on the appointment list, and perhaps someone called and cancelled my appointment. I just couldn't believe it. I replied "Perhaps it's a muck up at your end!!" I had the card which she wrote for me, which stated my appointment time and date. Then the sonographer intruded and said she can't do anymore and that she has to leave early! I was fuming by then and said "Look, it's not my fault at all and you have to see me today, no matter what!!" I explained further that, I fasted the whole day and took half a day leave, which doesn't really come by often, and now they want me to come back another day!! It was ludicrous!! The receptionist tried to cajole the sonographer to scan me today and then later came back telling me that the sonographer will try to fit me in.. depending on how long it takes to scan other patients. The receptionist was hoping I will come back some other time.

Instead, I used my mum's tactic ie by not giving up and kept ranting and ranting even if it's in public (I know, how embarrasing you may imagine!!). In my mind, I thought if they really don't scan me today, I will take the matter up to the person in charge. Does it take me to be near death, then only they will attend to me? They have an obligation plus I was 101% certain it was their fault (the receptionist) as I recalled. Two weeks ago, I took the doctor's referral to the imaging centre and booked for an appointment. Immediately the receptionist (the very same one) told me swiftly the next available date and time. Then she just wrote the time and date on a card and took my referral letter from me. Wow, I thought to myself, that was very efficient! It was all sorted out in less than 1 minute!! Which I think was where the whole error occured. She forgot to log me into the computer. How dare she come up with the explanation that someone called and cancelled my appointment. Who in the sane mind would do that? Plus are they supposed to cancel if it wasn't the patient who called?

Arrghhh.. what a awful day!!! No wonder my aorta is enlarging. Dealing with all these idiots just stresses me out!! How to be more gracious and take such things in stride? God..help me!