Sunday, September 23

Hoard Not!

It's Sunday again and we encountered something SIMILAR as before after driving home from church. We parked our car at our usual spot. It was not long before hubby and I both noticed a nice couch sitting just opposite our place. I wasn't expecting anything but my first thought was, the tenants living opposite our flat must be doing spring cleaning and perhaps, leaving their couch out to dry after cleaning or something like that. Then hubby suggested we take a walk at the park to get some sunlight. As we walked past the couch, hubby saw a posted paper on couch saying "It's FREE and yes, you can take it!". I was absolutely stunned and excited. Not again, I thought to myself. I gave hubby a look and immediately hubby knew what I was thinking about. But hubby disproved of the idea and shooked his head, saying we have no more room at home.I was pretty adamant about it, but hubby pulled me towards the park and say let's take a walk first and come back to see if it's still there, and then we will wait for another day and if it's still there, then we shall consider taking it. Of course, that meant "no, you silly girl".

We came back from the stroll and the couch was still there (of course, it was still there, it was only 5-10 minutes later). Hubby tried to dissuade me but I just couldn't listen. I tried lifting the couch to figure if both of us can lift the couch. We tried and tried, but unfortunately, it was no good. I couldn't help hubby to carry the couch up to our flat. Hubby even hurt his fingers while trying to carry it. So then, I decided to just let go of the couch for several reasons:

1. We don't really have any room for another couch in the flat.
2. We can't move the couch by ourselves.
3. Because of my obstinant, Andrew hurt his finger.
4. Lastly, but probably most important is, I realised, perhaps the couch wasn't meant for us, and we have to learn to say enough. Even the bible says so in Matthew 6: 19-21 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Perhaps, I was being greedy by trying to hoard all these "free gifts" which I would like to think of it as God's blessings. But we have to ask ourselves one question before we become misled and the question is "Are we in need of a couch?". The answer for now is clearly NO. However, I do consider for the future sake just in case we move to a bigger place and we can have the couch as a spare! Wait, hang on. I just said spare, didn't I? I won't really use that couch as my main couch in the living room and I'm thinking of its usage more of a spare. Ok, I guess hubby is totally right then and I should listen to him and I must let it go.

Just in case you wonder what sort of couch am I talking about, here's a picture of it.



See, see what I mean, isn't it a reasonably good and nice sofa? (I keep looking out from the balcony to see if it's there and it's still there *sigh*)

Ok, Lord, hoard not, hoard not.

No comments: