Saturday, November 17

Our responsibilities

Just an update on Uncle Lawrence. The surgery went well although doctor had to remove 90% of his stomach. We only pray that the cancer cells have not spread to other organs.

If you were wondering who Uncle Lawrence is to me, he is my father's brother. We used to live in one big house, with 17 family members, 4 sets of families ie 4 brothers and their respective families and 2 unmarried aunts. My dad is the oldest, who has 3 children, then Uncle Lawrence who has 1 child, followed by Uncle Steven, who has 3 children, then Uncle Louis and my two single aunties. So, you do the math (do include all the wives as well).

My dad's family have been living together in the same house since they were born. So, you can imagine how bonded we are, as a family. Everyone in my hometown have always been in awed with the fact that my family lives together. It was only until all my uncle's children in the family grows up and needs their own room did my dad decide to move out.

Not having any of my family members there in any occasion, seems odd. There are times when I thought that my family were too closely knitted that the 4 immediate families and 2 aunties tend to cross their boundaries on personal issues encountered by any one families. Hm.. my family's relationship is a little complicated to understand. Anyway, we are seriously close, that's my point.

When I first heard of the news about my uncle Lawrence, it immediately brought me back to the memories of losing a dearest family member, that is my paternal grandfather. My grandpa and I were close as we lived together too, and I always knew I was special in his eyes as I was his favourite. He passed at 69. His death brought so much pain to me then. I was 12. My maternal grandma passed away when I was 18. I was not as close to my grandma as she lived much further away. I was a pity that I wasn't as close to her as I was to my grandpa. After her death, I regretted that I never get to know her better.

When I was young, I never knew how to love, not until I got so much older. This is the time when loved ones should be cherish and not be taken granted for. I only thank God that my family is saved and I can be certained that they will meet God one day in heaven when God calls them home. But I surely will miss them. Even now, I realised these fun and enjoyable times with family will end rather soon, as everyone ages.

However, I do believe we can ask God to grant us good health and live till old age. Matthew 7:7 says "Ask and it shall be given". This is God's promise to us. But do we have responsibilities on our part? Of course we do. We need to also be a good steward of our health. We need to do all it takes to ensure a good health. I am a scientist yet, many a times I am in awe with how God created our bodies. Some people may say, it's all in your genes. Yes, but God is a genious maker. For instance, I learnt that eventhough certain diseases are caused by genes as detected by testing, but it can be polymorphism which does not produce any syndrome nor indication of the disease. In other words, that person is basically normal and healthy. Even cancer, God gives us a second chance if we are careful with our diet and lifestyle. Of course, these doesn't account for all the genetic diseases. It's sad that some person doesn't seem to have a "second chance" at all. But who are we to question God. God can give, God can also take away.

But for those who are without any sickness or illness, be responsible over your health.