Sunday, April 27

Movie Spree

Have been on a movie watching spree the whole week. I almost forgot that I do blog about the movies I watched. So, I shouldn't cease doing it, just so I can keep an account of what I've watched in my entire life. I am also amazed at how some dedicated souls out there who uploaded the movies I enjoyed greatly in YouTube for pathetic souls like me who wants to reminisce those days when I used to watch them. Just to name a few from YouTube, they are mainly chinese films like God of Gamblers (starring Chow Yun-Fatt), Treasure Hunt (also starring Chow Yun-Fatt), Shanghai Grand (starring Leslie Cheung), Farewell, My Concubine (Leslie Cheung) and as of this evening, The Joy Luck Club (starring many but not exceedingly well-known actresses and actors, except Vivian Wu and Russell Wong).

The movies that we borrowed from the rental place were as below:
1. Jasmine Women starring Zhang Zhi Yi and Joan Chen.

You can sort know what to expect from Zhang ZhiYi's movie. Her acting is pretty much the same. I'm not saying it's not good, it's brilliant, in fact. I just find it a little lacklustre because all the roles she's played so far, shows the strong-willed, stubborn, independent, vengeful side of her. Any movies you watch of her, it must be one of these character or something similar. Same goes to Joan Chen, although I would prefer her to Zhang ZhiYi. Joan is an amazing actress, and for people who doesnt appreciate the art of acting (like my husband) would mock her movies. In fact, the roles she's been playing thus far, were not all easy roles. They are pretty hard roles to exhibit. But the outcome is the same as Zhang ZhiYi, after a while, you would sort of expect the same look, same stare, and same conceitful facial expression. Unless you are not bored with them yet, then you can watch this movie. It's a story about four generational family saga of which history sort of repeats itself between the mother and daughter in every generation. Not a very fancy movie but alright to watch.

2. Beowulf starring Anthony Hopkins, Ray Winston, Angelina Jolie, Robin Wright Penn and John Malkovich.

This is a motion capture film and I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie until it came to the ending. Perhaps, I'm one who always expects a good or at least what I perceive as a reasonable ending, this movie didn't do that for me. It just totally put me off.. well, if you haven't watch the movie, you should. Be forewarned, it is quite gory!

3. The Holiday starring Jude Law, Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet and Jack Black.

This.. this... is a must watch for all you romantic suckers out there! My, I've been trying so hard to come up with a better word than "suckers" but I don't know any. By the way, I'm trying to be more gentle and demure with the language I use nowadays(anyway, that's a whole new story to tell, next time yea!). It's a pleasant and enjoyable movie and for those who counter this, get a life!! It's just a MOVIE!! Ahem... excuse me.. My reason for liking this movie is mainly because of Jude Law and Cameron Diaz. Jude Law is a heartthrob. This is the sort of guy, you try your utmost not to fall for, knowing he will break your heart eventually, yet you still fall for him. Cameron is good in this show. Not crazy like most other films, at least this one shows a better side of her that is no ugly grins from her huge mouth.
Good ending, just like the way I like it and the setting is in Christmas time, winter time.. my favourite time for a romantic movie!

4. A love song for Bobby Long starring Scarlett Johansson and John Travolta.

Didn't really expect much from the movie except for good acting by SJ and JT. As the movie goes along, the ending is quite expected, very typical asian movie plot.

I guess I have to stop for now. It's getting late and I'm getting sleepy. Goodnite!