Sunday, September 14

Caramel

Welcome to the new look of Sarah's blog. I was thrilled when I finally managed to upload this template after several attempts and initial failures. I looked around just to scout for templates, yet I always end up with the same theme colour ie pink or shades of pink. I was down to a final few choices which were green, purple and pink. Yet, the pink won. But they all have the same kind of design ie floral. I am truly girly!!

Anyway, it was a great weekend. The spring weather was pleasantly cool. We slept in later than usual on Saturday and how we dread for the day when we have to forgo our lovely sleeps (that is when the baby comes). Like any other typical Saturdays, I started cleaning the house. Big Elf was craving for BBQ pork and duck for lunch, but after much contemplation, we decided against it. Big Elf then came up with a really nice and simple lunch ie fried vermicelli. We had a fairly small portion because there will be a good dinner coming our way. We wanted to reserve our stomach for it.

My colleagues (2 are ex-es) wanted to to do something for my birthday. Usually there will be a cake at work and a small party that last for about 15-20 minutes. But because of the politics at work, I thought it was pretty superficial when everyone tries to be nice in that small window of time when there has already been a crack on the glass. Surely, it wasn't easy to mend the hurts, embarrassment, anger and hatred towards one another, still for some reasons unknown to myself, I bought myself a cake and celebrated with everyone. Probably because I was selfish. I didn't want the day to pass without a cake for myself.. it was still a special day to me. So, I just relinquished whatever feelings there were and just be nice to everyone.

Anyway, we had already planned to go out for dinner even before I decide to have the cake at work. So, Saturday was the day we met up and I treated it as the girls' night out, except our partners were only 'tagging' along. We went to the same Japanese restaurant as where I had my birthday last year (We are still not sick of it yet!). We had a really good time, the girls at one end, and the guys at the other. Food was great as usual. I couldn't take photos of the food as everyone started devouring the food as soon as it touches the table. However, I did manage to take some photos of the dessert, nothing fancy but alright. I was so touched with the birthday presents though!



Sunday was raining heavily in the morning and before the evening came, I suddenly remembered I was given 2 tickets for a movie preview. It was apparently a chick flick and I didn't think Big Elf would be interested. Still, I had to be grateful that I was given the free movie pass and if ever I was asked about the movie, I could give an answer. It was unfair to Big Elf should I 'force' him to watch the movie with me. Yet he was so kind that he accompanied me to the movies. I did tell him that should he find the movie boring, he can take the car home and pick me up later. Amazingly, he stayed till the end.

Caramel was the name of the film and it's our first Lebanese movie. It was quite a charming movie with constant humour throughout the movie. For me, it caught my attention, firstly as it was a film by a female director. I haven't seen many movies directed by women and I am quite interested to find out more. Secondly, I wasn't even sure if the language of the film was french or arabic or english. But I figured there will be subtitles since it's a foreign movie. The movie didn't really wow me and I didn't expect it to for a drama. Yet, it was a pretty enjoyable movie. Everyone in the cinema seemed to appreciate it, probably because it was free. I doubt they will have similar reactions should they have paid for the movie, they would have expected much more than just a drama for a film in the cinema. Unfortunately, that's just humans! Everything free IS good! How bizarre!

After the movie, we came home, still managed to pull through a lovely dinner. We prepared them beforehand, so it didn't take us long to have dinner. Again, Big Elf delivers (so, he always proclaim!). He cooked one of the finest curry chicken (his signature dish) that goes with nasi lemak. It was finger-licking good! And if you ask about my role in the kitchen, I'm a great assistant I must say. I cut out the ingredients and prepare whatever's needed. After dinner, I wash up everything, that's my role! If you must say, my role probably needs more hardwork, where as Big Elf's role needed more of skill (something which I lack, unfortunately!). Ultimately, we make a good team in the kitchen.

Oh well, that's our weekend and it's a shame that the weekend only lasted this long. We are so looking forward to next weekend and the next and the next... =)

2 comments:

Athena said...

love your new look .. Very feminine!

Anyway, foreign movies are quite fun really...

SarahLee said...

Hey thank you... nola, I only curled my hair for that day.. need more practice though~

Yes, I agree with that about foreign movie..