Tuesday, May 20

Never underestimate Thy God!

Believe it or not, I have never had a proper CV nor a resume even. All these while, God has blessed me with everything, studies and jobs. It's really like the saying goes, "money" just rained down from heaven to me of which in this case, its not really money but jobs and everything else. I don't think I ever worked hard for it. I was never the brightest student. I am always unlucky with exams, yet I never lose out. I just did what I had to do at the time, and I placed my worries at God's altar. I could really feel God's grace upon me, as underserving as I am, I was never in want.

Coming to Sydney, was like a dream come true. In fact, as long as it's overseas, it was a dream for me. Not in a million chance would I dream that my parents could afford sending me overseas. Hm.. perhaps, I shall save this part of God's testimony for next time.

When I arrived in Sydney, I had no idea how the next 2 years will be for me. I was here to pursue my Masters Degree, and with the help of hubby (then boyfriend), he found me an apartment, and a christian flatmate too. The money I brought with me was only enough for a month's rent ($1360) and a 2 weeks bond ie $680 (split into half with my flatmate). I have no time to spare, I had to find a job as soon as possible. I had to constantly remind myself, I'm not here for holiday. Frankly speaking, I enjoyed the first week here, and then after I had to keep planning and budgeting for my expenses and looking for a job while diligently attending my masters class. I cannot express my gratefulness to my husband who just found himself a job, and has only earned his very first income then. The amount of money then, was menial. It must be difficult for him should I expect him to help me financially. My family isn't going to be able to support me very long with the sky-rocketing rent in Sydney.

I lived a very frugal life, yet it doesnt look frugal at all, looking back at those days. I made simple meals for myself for the first 3 months. Thank God for sending me generous flatmate, who never ceased sharing food with me. Her name is Leanne, and I must give credit to her. "Leanne, if you read this, thank you from the bottom of my heart!"

Meantime, I tried looking for jobs. Went to uni, searched everywhere for job availability and even walked along the main street where I stayed, visited medical centres, hospitals, companies and gave them my scarce resume like a pamphlet (by the way, I lived near uni and a hospital). It was not easy to find a proper job then. A proper job yet doesn't really require much experience. No one would look at my resume twice. Perhaps, I was asking too much.

One day, we came across an angel who gave us the idea of applying for jobs in supermarkets. My coursemate who was a doctor told me about it. He came from India or Sri Lanka or Bangladesh (I cannot re-call) and was working in a supermarket while waiting to finish his course before undertaking a test to qualify him to work as a doctor in Sydney. My eyes was opened to something I've never seen before, the idea of working in a supermarket. Back home, working in supermarket basically means you have no qualification at all. That was the steoreotype given by the society. Sad, but true.

I did not expect a big pay from working in supermarkets, yet I was in desperate need of money. I had to give it a try and forgo all pride and ego in me. So, I applied. Mind you, to my surprise, it wasn't a simple application. First stage, I had to do an online application. Even then, they tested me on IQ!! Can you believe it? Not so that they can reject you if you fail but rather it's informative to them to place you in the appropriate department. Once accepted, the second stage proceeded. I was notified that it was to be a group interview. I was all in the look out for friends who have worked in departmental stores before and asked for advise. I was so nervous and I wanted to do well. Before I knew it, I was all into it. Some kind friends advised me to be myself and make sure I participated in the group discussion. I have to make myself stand out in order to catch the interviewee's attention. It all seemed so difficult for me as I hated public speaking. I never have strong command for attention. I only needed God's strength to help me get through it and most importantly, be selected.

Time came for the group interview. There were at least 3 groups, each group consisted of 6-8 people. I was literally shaking and kept praying to God that when I speak, I shall be heard. Thank God that the interviewee sat right across me in a rectangular table. We were given a case study, and then 10 minutes for open discussion. One of the case study was like, giving promotional ideas. Somehow, I manage to come out with an idea (in fact, an idea even I thought was brilliant). Ultimately, I was heard and I saw the interviewee glanced at my name tag before jotting down something on his notepad. I hit it, I just knew I did.

At the end of the session, we were given a form to fill in. In case we get through, we have to select our choice of supermarket. Of course, I chose several that I know are closest to where I lived. The closest being Broadway. I left the building, never feeling as contented before. I knew, whatever it was, God will look after me.

A week later, I was contacted by the HR of this supermarket, in BROADWAY!!! I got the interview with the deli department of the supermarket. Hang on, that's not the end. There was the third and final stage of interview. The manager was required to interview me before giving me the job. Can you believe that just a supermarket will require such intensive interview?

Anyway, I made it through the last stage of interview. The manager liked me when she first saw me, and I only got to know later on that she was very strict and not so likeable by her staffs. However, with God's grace, I found favour in her. As I was a casual and my visa sub-class re-stricted me to 20 hours of work, I was given the best shift one can ever ask for working in supermarket. I was given the weekend shift (if you know the wages rate in Australia, weekends pay can be at least 20% more than weekdays). I worked from 1pm to 10pm, Saturday and Sunday, a total of 16 hours. Since I have 4 hours of spare, I can be called in to work anytime during weekdays. To be honest, I earned about $1200 a month by just working 2 days a week. Rental was $170 a week, that leaves me with $520 for food and travelling, which was more than sufficient. I also discovered that being a casual and working in supermarkets, the rates are far better off than anywhere else. Should I get the other jobs I initially applied for, it wouldn't be as much as what the supermarket paid me.

After just 3 months of living in Sydney with my family's help, I was on my own until today. How God helped me with my tuition fees is another testimony to give. I shall save that for some other time.

Coming back to my point of sharing, the reason I never got any job in the medical field was because of my inadequate experience. Of course, it's understandable. I remembered when I had to prepare my first resume, it was tough. I tried vehemently to come up with 2 pages, but that was all I can do.

As I was trying to update my resume and to my amazement, it easily went on to 5 pages. Not that I have many a great achievement, still I was amazed and I began to ponder over God's love and grace for me over these years. How He walked with me, every day of my lives here. I couldn't have seen myself where I am now back then. Even my job today, was a blessing from God. Not one which I had to undergo another rigorous interview like the one I did for the supermarket. It was more of a casual chat with a professor and I ended up with this job. Again, that is another testimony to be saved for some other time.

Before blogging, the title was supposed to be "Never underestimate thyself". Now, it seems so inappropriate as it shows self-centeredness and ungratefulness to God. So, I've corrected it and this is how it should be; Never underestimate Thy God!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! God is great. That's why we need HIM so much in our life.

Anonymous said...

Hi SLL, good to see you here. I tried to post in your blog, but I have to register to post. I tried but nothing was sent to my email. Yeah, God is always so faithful to us. =)

Anonymous said...

Yeah.. Nice to see you here too. :) I saw your post today. :P Let us continue to grow in God k.. as we really really need HIM.. Amen
Take k and keep in touch..
Send our regards to your hubby too.. :)

Anonymous said...

Sarah, this is a very meaningful post. Talking about your interview, I was made to do 4 pages of equation and you know what we all learn is all in Bahasa. That is a tough one. Glad everything turn out well for you.

SarahLee said...

Thanks HJQueen. God has been really good to me. Thanks for visiting my blog! =)