Thursday, May 29

My choice of "Chick Flick"

Wednesday (6-8pm)is the cheap day for new releases. I knew the movies I so wanted to watch are finally out in DVD. I drove like a maniac to the video store because I had wasted 2 precious weeks of not being able to rent movies. Well, hubby took me out for dinner those wednesday nights, so I shouldn't complain ( I think I shall refer to him as Big Elf from now onwards, feels more inherent to me).

Anyway, I watched 2 movies as they are only available for overnight rent ie I had to watch 2 movies within one night (Thank goodness, Big Elf had to work late yesterday). I am a very insatiable viewer when it comes to movies I cannot wait to watch. Nevermind the late night!



My first movie was Lust, Caution by Ang Lee starring Tony Leung, Tang Wei and Joan Chen. I know I am almost half a year late of watching since its first release in January, still I'm glad I watched it. One sentence; It's sooooo my kind of movie. It totally left me feeling satisfied in the end albeit sad but necessary ending. The plot is just amazing and it does fill you in and get you on your toes. I feel like researching this movie and write up all the parts/scripts in this movie. That's how crazy I can be. The only disturbing part for me was that the sex scene is too real but that was the hub of the movie, the seduction and passion behind the phony facade. Perhaps its real, I cannot tell. If it wasn't real, hats off to the casts and director. As I mentioned before, I am not good at story telling, so I'm won't summarize the movie but rather I will share with you my thoughts on the movie. If you want the synopsis, go here. There is a plot summary in wikipedia but its not as accurate as it foretells.

1. Tang Wei is absolutely brilliant, considering this is her first movie. She just basically bypassed having to act in trivial roles before becoming a major movie star. She is as lucky as Zhang Ziyi and Cameron Diaz, if you know what I mean. Having said that, she of course graduated from performing acts course, so she must know how to act. She may not be stunningly beautiful, that is if you judge her through modern standards. However, she would be considered a rare beauty through ancient eyes. That was the very reason why she was chosen out of 10,000 women who auditioned.

2. There is nothing fresh with Tony Leung, but I must give credit to his acting, which is not surprising in this movie. He is an excellent actor, no doubt but his violent and aggresive sex scene just gave me goosebumps. Perhaps I've not seen this side of him.

3. Wang Lee Hom, my.. I must admit, he has this amazingly good looks. Every feature of his seems too perfect to be real and he could be a beautiful woman too if he wants. But let's not speculate on his sexuality, alright. I have no interest in that. I just think he is good looking but nothing more than that.

Anyone who has watched the movie and is as fanatical as I am, feel free to email me to discuss. I would looove to discuss the plot just to satisfy my curiosity. You must think of me as crazy!



This is also another thumbs up from me although it's very tragic. I've come to realized that I am a real sucker for romance, just not any romance, but a romance that has to endure hardship, which is why I am so passionate about love-story during war times. To me, these sort of love has a deep and profound meaning, unlike today's love story whereby it's all too straightforwad, effortless, simple and superficial. You meet someone, go after her (yeah, that's the only probable hardwork), a little bit of separation here and there (probably days or weeks or at the most a year), then proposal and marriage followed by having kids. There you go, what a cliché.

Ok, ok reality check. I'm not living in those days and I cannot be overly immersed with these stories.

No comments: